Thursday, March 29, 2012

My Views about Happiness


During these past few years, I’ve been wondering what happiness exactly means to me and where I have to look for it. There are a few thoughts I came up with, for example:
  • I’ll be happy when I’m finally done with my research
  •  I’ll be happy when I’ve graduated
  • I’ll be happy when I get a job
  • I’ll be happy when I finally find someone special to me
  • I’ll be happy when I get married
  • I’ll be happy when I become rich

and many other things starting with “I’ll be happy when/if _____________”.

Then suddenly, I realized that I was being foolish. I’ve defined my happiness with things that happen in the future and I didn’t even consider about things in the present. What about the current me? Am I living an unhappy life?

So instead of thinking about what WILL make me happy, I chose to list some of the current, small things that delight me:
  • Waking up to a new day with no headache
  • My family being in good health
  • Family members to talk to
  • Friends to joke around with
  • Getting back in touch with old friends + meeting & keeping in touch with current ones
  • Getting to know new people with pleasant characters
  • A home to return to
  • Electricity to power my home
  • Internet connection to access web pages
  • My hobbies
  • My own issues/business to work on
  • My laptop & handset functioning well
  • Good food to enjoy
  • Travelling
  • Enough money to spend
  • Seeing well-behaved kids & pets


In other words, I’ve actually been blessed with so many small things that bring me joy. To me, being happy is a matter of accepting my current condition, no matter how good or bad it is. It’s up to my mind to regard something I do as enjoyable or mind-exhausting, so why don’t I try to enjoy doing something that I didn’t enjoy before?

I’m currently working on my bachelor’s thesis and sometimes things just won’t go the way I want them to. It seems like before one problem is solved, another one comes in and I have to divide my brain to concentrate on so many things at a time. But well…I kind of enjoy being busy working on this project. Hopefully, I’ll be able to continuously motivate myself until the end of the project.

No comments:

Post a Comment