Saturday, May 19, 2012

From Sushi to Taekwondo

Does the title sound weird? To me, it sure does...

From what I know, sushi originates from Japan and Taekwondo from Korea. They come from two different cultures, but somehow my dream last night seemed to be connecting them. Well, that's how dreams are: unrelated things uniting in one strange episode.

Yesterday afternoon, I had a wonderful sushi buffet lunch with my university pals. The food was good and the ambience of the restaurant was quite nice for an afternoon gathering. Since we decided on having the All You Can Eat menu, we ordered lots of weird sushi names that haven't been heard of anywhere else. We talked about memorable trivial things that happened during the earlier days of university, enjoyed good laugh over silly matters of the past and took pictures together. What a nice gathering that was.

So now we move on to Taekwondo.

What I can remember from my dream is that I was a newbie enrolled in a Taekwondo school along with the same friends that had had sushi with me in the afternoon. What's even funnier  is that the school was located in the Emporium Pluit Mall in North Jakarta. That's so strange...As a resident of Puri Indah in West Jakarta, only on special occasions do I go all the way to North Jakarta for mere weekend entertainment. Not only that, I don't think there's even a Taekwondo school in EPM despite being only an occasional visitor.

The teacher was a heavily-built female with fair skin. Plus, she was a strict one with black belt. I remember clearly that she was warning us not to run off and hang out with friends in EPM and that we better be serious in the training. Suddenly, without even showing us the basics, she instructed us to do a one-on-one training, where each of us had to practise with a partner. How on earth were we supposed to do that?

The story suddenly shifted. As if we succeeded in escaping from the training, we were then strolling together along the shops in EPM.

That's where the dream terminated. When I woke up this morning, I wondered if the dream was caused by the distant memory of my childhood. I recalled that I once wanted to join the Taekwondo extracurricular activity when I was in primary school grade 1, and I found it so hilarious that I started rolling on the bed and chuckling by myself. Oh my, I think I'd watched too much episodes of Power Rangers and Ultraman when I was small.

No comments:

Post a Comment